Monday, March 2, 2009

Whole Foods Pick of the Week!

My Whole Foods Pick of the Week is Arrowhead Mills Flax Seeds. At $2.99/lb, these are quite the nutritional value. A great source of fiber, iron, and omega-3 fatty acids, flax seeds make a welcome addition to baked goods, oatmeal, smoothies, and yogurt. Flax is an amazing thing to add to your diet, and is the most cost effective way I've found to get omega-3s. I'm not too much of a fish eater (I know, I know..."but it's so good for you"...but it's SO expensive! Not exactly in the budget right now, although if anyone in the city needs a sushi date...) so this $2.99 Flax is a great alternative. Between my $4.29/lb walnuts from TJs and my WF $2.99 Flax I'm good to go on omegas!

The nutrients in flax are MUCH better absorbed if the flax is ground (or else it stays a little seed in your belly!) so I always grind mine fresh. You can buy it ground up, but it's best to grind it as you use it...kind of like coffee.

Try it, you'll like it! I love eating it throughout the day, a little sprinkled here and there.

Oh! The baby loves it in his food too! Try mashing a banana up with a tablespoon of flax for a fiber, iron, and omega boost for your baby. Here's a link to the benefits of flax for babies, and some guidelines on its use. You shoudn't give the baby too much, as it can have laxative effects.

And there you have it ladies and gentlemen...My Whole Foods Pick of the Week. Stay tuned for more Whole Foods best buys!

-Add them to muffin batters, breads, and cookies

-Sprinkle by the tablespoon full over cereals, oatmeal, and yogurt

-Mix up in a smoothie

-Sprinkle in baby foods

No comments:

Post a Comment