Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Mia's Birthday Dinner





the beautiful birthday girl and me


Hey and good morning, everyone! I'm back, but still on a broken computer (I should have mine back tomorrow)...

I wanted to fill you guys in on what I did for Mia's birthday dinner, since it came out really nice and was quite a good time. I also wanted to share pictures with you, but, of course, I forgot my camera in NY and now my Mom has to mail it to me (thanks Mom!).

Here's the menu:

Pinot Grigio
Italian Bread
Spring Spinach Salad
Penne with Meatballs and Sauce
Very Vanilla Vegan Cupcakes
Fragolino (a strawberry champagne - well, Prosecco, actually - that Mia LOVES)

Mia's very into eating healthy, so I made sure to ask her what she would like to eat on her birthday. She chose meatballs and sauce, so that's what I made. I will share my meatball recipe with you, the only problem is I didn't measure any of the stuff out, so it's just my estimate of what you'd need. That being said, they were freaking delicious and pretty much some of the best meatballs I've ever had. Since turkey is on sale this week around the city (S&S and Shaw's for sure...probably WFs, too) I'm going to share how I made them.

I'm also going to share the Spring Spinach Salad recipe, which is my Mom's, and is probably one of the best salads you'll ever have in your life. Listen to me, so humble. "My meatballs are the best, my salad is the best". Jesus Christ..."Shut up", right? Nah...they're both the best. Trust me.

For dessert, we had Very Vanilla Vegan Cupcakes with a not Vegan buttercream icing (which was surprisingly good, also) sprinkled with purple sugar crystals. I made the actual cake egg and dairy free so that Mia's allergic son, Max, could eat one. To make the Icing vegan, you could find an all vegetable margarine...or you could probably find a recipe for one made with vegetable shortening and margarine. I'm going to explore this more fully so that Max can have an amazing birthday cake. I will keep you posted on my journey.

For decorations, we hung the "Happy Birthday" banner and got balloons. We tied 1 to each chair at the same height, and then tied 5 to Mia's chair. They were pink, lavender, and dark purple, and they matched the cupcakes. We used the china and the crystal and the linen. Mia had a pink napkin, and we all had green. She loved it, we loved it. Yay!

It was a great night. I'll post pics once I get my camera! For now, I'm going to post the recipes. Enjoy :).

No comments:

Post a Comment