Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Meatball Madness!

You all, everybody!

CAUTION: What you are about to read has nothing to do with meatballs. If you are looking for the meatball information, scroll down and ignore all this:

Hey there, everybody! When I went to type "hey there", I got the lyrics to the Drive Shaft hit single "You all, everybody" in my head, and figured I would share them with you. This goes out to all my LOST fans. Actually, I'm tripping out right now, because I'm not even a LOST fan (it's not new tonight, if you were wondering).

Q: Why do you know so much about LOST if you aren't a fan?
A: I watch the show because once you watch it once, you are obligated under contract to watch every.single.other episode. I could not care less about what happens on that stupid island and the stupid people involved with aforementioned island. Hmmm...but I do have a favorite character...Sun. I think. I also like Jack. I also like when I miss an episode, because then I don't have to watch it. If I know it's on and I'm home, then there's no escaping it...but if I'm home, then I can't ignore the pull of the show. And Mike. He makes me watch it.

Q: Why aren't you a LOST fan?
A: Oh, I don't know. I guess because nothing ever happens and I feel like I'll never understand the whole deal, so what's even the point? Also, I don't find the characters or storylines compelling. I'm actually a little interested in the Kate/Aaron plotline, but that's about it.

Ok, now for Meatball Madness!


Taylor's Turkey Meatballs
makes about 12 depending on how big you make them
serves 6 along with pasta and sauce for dinner
1.3 lb. package ground turkey ($5.58 natural @ Shaw's this week $4.29/lb or Shadybrook farms @ S & S $2.99/1.3 lb package)
1/2 medium onion, finely chopped ($.04)
2 eggs (organic - $.60)
1 c. panko breadcrumbs or regular breadcrumbs (I used panko and they were just perfect - $1.30)
2 pieces white sandwich bread (torn apart into little pieces - $.25)
1 t. salt (<$.01)
1/2 t. black pepper ($.03)
1 t. dried parsley ($.06)
1/2 t. oregano ($.03)
1/2 t . basil ($.03)
1/2 c. grated Romano cheese ($.73)
3/4 c. raisins (optional and organic - $.65)
2 T. olive oil ($.24)
Total (with expensive all-natural Shaw's turkey): $9.88
Total (with less expensive S & S turkey): $7.29
Total for a pot of sauce with 1 1/2 lb. pasta: $5.55
Added to the sauce recipe with pasta, this would feed about 8 people easily for a total of: $12.84 - $15.43 (depending on which turkey you used)...$1.61 - $1.93 per serving!
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 (isn't it weird how most things get cooked at this temperature???)
  2. Tear up the sandwich bread into little pieces.
  3. Chop the onion finely.
  4. Combine basil, oregano, parsley, salt, pepper, cheese, and raisins in a bowl.
  5. To the spice bowl, add turkey, eggs, breadcrumbs, and bread pieces (this mixture is more wet than ones I had made previously, but that's okay).
  6. I made mine a little bit bigger than golf balls but a little smaller than tennis balls. Closer to golf balls than tennis balls. Okay I think I've exceeded my quota for using the word "balls" today.
  7. Take the olive oil and drizzle around a round pie dish, or similar sized item.
  8. Place each ball in the dish and roll in olive oil, repeat for all of them. Arrange them in the dish so that they're all touching.
  9. Cover with foil and cook for 30 minutes, or until they are cooked through.
  10. I then added them to my pot of sauce for the rest of the sauce's cooking time.
  11. If you're not making sauce just be sure they're completely cooked, and then enjoy!

scrimpyTips:

- These can be made with any ground meat.

- You can play around with the spices or even add a clove of chopped garlic/garlic powder into the mix.

- I like to let them cook in my tomato sauce while the sauce cooks down.

- These would be great to freeze (cooked, preferably) along with some tomato sauce for a quick weeknight meal of either pasta and meatballs or meatball sandwiches (I was going to say "heroes", but then realized that the regional term for "sandwich" debate is quite polarizing..."sub", "hero", "grinder", "WHATEVER".)

No comments:

Post a Comment