Friday, March 13, 2009

Freezermeal Friday!

Hey all! I've been a bit absent from the blogosphere because I've been away in New York and I now have my mother-in-law, Debbie, visiting. Needless to say, I've had my hands full. This Freezermeal Friday recipe is for Vegetarian Lasagna!

Vegetarian Lasagna
serves 4 pigs, 6 normal people
1/2 T. butter ($.05)
1/2 batch tomato sauce (about 5 cups w/ organic tomatoes - $2.03)
1/2 lb. lasagna noodles ($.99)
1 1/2 lb. ricotta cheese ($2.62 on sale at S & S, $4.19 regularly around the city)
1 lb. mozzarella cheese ($4.79 - TJs - about 5 cups shredded)
1/4 c. Romano cheese, shredded ($.37)
Total: $10.85, DAMN! That's expensive! Cheese is so expensive, so it's best bought on sale...That's $1.81/serving. Not bad, but still...pretty pricey for one of my meals...I'm sad.
  1. Butter dish (I use a deep square 10 x 10 dish).
  2. Ladle enough sauce to cover the bottom of the dish. Layer noodles, sauce (about 1 c.), ricotta cheese, and mozzarella (about 1 cup). You should have 4 - 5 layers. Be sure to reserve a cup of cheese for the top!
  3. When you've built the last layer, top with lasagna noodles, sauce, and the final cup of cheese.
  4. Sprinkle top with 1/4 c. Romano cheese.
  5. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 30 minutes (approximately) until it's bubbly, then remove foil and continue to bake until it's golden brown.
  6. Cut into portions, bag it up, cool it to room temperature, and freeze it until you're ready to eat it. When you're ready to eat it, reheat in the oven on 350 until hot.

scrimpyTips:

- This welcomes the addition of ground beef or turkey, cooked mushrooms, or sauteed squash and spinach (a combo of all 3 is my favorite!

That's all for today. I went to Whole Foods yesterday, but didn't see anything too good on sale. I did, however, get a corned beef and a head of cabbage for a slow cooker St. Patrick's Meal that I'll share with you this week in honor of the holiday. It's delicious. And look out for this week's scrimpySnack of the week: Coffee Cake (Probably...if not, something equally good!). Oh, and this Monday I'm going to continue teaching you guys how to stock your pantry, so keep your heads up for that!

Have a great Friday night, and weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment