Monday, February 9, 2009

Showing appreciation to a great friend...PART 1


Things have been quite tight in my household, because my boyfriend sells mutual funds (which are basically stocks) and is paying off a steep credit card bill. Unfortunately, nobody wants to buy stocks right now (even though they should). So that means we are pretty NOT rich right now. Anyways, I needed a haircut so badly. So badly, in fact, that the last time I was home (for Christmas), my dad actually cut my hair in the kitchen. Needless to say, we don't have any money for me to get a nice haircut, so my friend Melissa offered to take me to get a hair cut. This was one of the kindest things a friend has ever done for me! It was so nice to know that you have a friend who is so generous, and wants the best for you. It was honestly one of the nicest things anyone has ever done for me.

Since I had Dylan in July, I really haven't had too much time or energy to really put into my appearance, and I feel like crap. The hair cut did just the trick (although I still feel gross in so many other ways...hey Melissa, feel like taking me for a manicure, liposuction, and a laser facial?), and made me feel MUCH better. Who knew a hair cut could leave you feeling so refreshed?
The point is, she was so sweet to think of me, and it made me feel very special so I cooked her a thank you brunch. Oh, wait! This is the best part. After she took me for the best haircut I've ever gotten, she:
  • invited me over to her apartment for dinner
  • got me drunk
  • cooked me dinner
  • got me a little more drunk
  • gave me $20 for a cab home
  • (oh and she babysat for free until pretty late on December 11th without even accepting cab money from me)


So, since she wouldn't accept that I was taking the T, I told her I was making her brunch with the $20. So I did. And I'd like to share it with all of you!

It doesn't have to cost a ton of money to throw a tasteful and festive little affair. Here is the menu for 3:

Orange wedges (2 navel oranges from Haymarket - $.50)
Buttermilk biscuits ($.92) with Strawberry jam ($.25)
Organic scrambled eggs ($2.43)
Organic-banana bread muffins ($2.23 - that's $.19/each)
Organic Coffee (Organic 365 Pacific Rim Blend from WF) ($.99)
Organic milk for coffee ($.37)
Sugar for coffee ($.08 - 4 T.)
Ice water ($.OO)
100% Organic Bananaberry Blasts (soy smoothies) ($2.20)

Grand Total for Brunch for 3 = $9.97

(That's $3.32 per person...with leftover muffins and biscuits for favors!)

No comments:

Post a Comment