Sunday, February 22, 2009

CVS Sale Sunday!

Alright, here I go...There are a few decent sales going on today (as usual)...I always get excited for Sundays because when I need something I usually wait for it to go on sale. This week, I really needed toilet tissue, and here it is, on sale!

The winner of the Sale Item of the Week Award goes to (not just because I needed it):

Scott Tissue 12 pk. Bath Tissue
$6.99 from $11.99

This is by far the best value in bath tissue and here's why: Sure other bath tissues are thicker and more absorbent. One sheet of Charmin ultra absorbs as much as 4 sheets of Scott. And that's all well and good, but the fact remains that no matter how absorbent a tissue is, you still need a minimun amount of actual pieces to wipe with. So, you wind up using 6 sheets of Charmin and going through a roll every 2 days (as a girl). Go with the Scott, it's not as fancy but trust me...you'll be going through toilet tissue a lot less frequently. And saving a few dollars, too. Use it on a manicure.

Gold Emblem spices are $.77 (from $.99). CVS actually has a great assortment for spices, and I use them in all my cooking. I'm sure they're nothing special, and they're definitely not organic, but they do the trick for those of us in a money pinch. This is a good way to fill up your spice rack on the cheap. They have everything from garlic salt to cayenne and chili powder. It doesn't seem like that great of a sale, but let's see...if you bought 5 at the normal price, that would cost $4.95...buying 5 on sale you'd spend $3.85. That's a savings of $1.10! Nice work!*

Haagen Dasz or Ben and Jerry's ice cream 2/$7.00 or 1/$3.50. These ice creams are usually $4.99 and are a great deal considering how good they are. It's also always good to keep a pint of Haagen Dasz in the freezer should you need a quick dessert for company or to bring to a friend's house. It's extremely easy to make ice cream sandwiches with a quick batch of cookies if you have a pint of good ice cream on hand.

Campbells soup buy one get one free, that's half price. These are great lunches in a pinch. I always stock up on cream of mushroom and chicken noodle so that I can always make a tuna casserole or soup and salad lunch nice and quick. PS. The swanson broth is also on sale but I never buy broth, I fashion my own which i'll explain this week.

Aquafresh, Colgate, Ultrabrite, or Gleem toothpastes $.88. This is a tricky sale. The best one, Colgate, is a tiny tube (4.6 oz) but even if you bought 2 of them it'd still be a deal @ $1.96. Aquafresh is probably the best deal of them all because the tube is bigger and it's good stuff. Ultrabrite, in my opinion, is gross, and you couldn't pay me to use it. My mom used to stock up on it and ECHK. But, hey, if that's what does it for you, congrats, because it's on sale.

Honey Bunches of Oats, Shredded Wheat, and Cocoa or Fruity Peppbles are buy one get one free. If you eat these cereals (not the HEALTHIEST breakfast but way better than what you COULD be eating, I suppose) this is a great deal, because technically they're half price. Stock up, I would.

Gold Emblem Nuts are 2/$7.00 which makes them $3.50 each. I love making gifts out of nuts, and in honor of this sale will post my Cinnamon Roasted Nuts recipe today. They are amazingly delicious...what I would imagine "street nuts" from downtown to taste like, and make a great scrimpy gift!*

Gold Emblem Pistachios and Almonds are $4.99/lb. That price rivals Trader Joe's. It's a great deal for a pound of nuts, and almonds are a great source of fiber, protein, and calcium.*

All Laundry Detergent Small and Mighty $4.99 (from $7.29-$8.29). This is a great deal if you have to walk far to do laundry because the little bottle is so light and lasts a long time. It's not the greenest option for laundry, and after my laundry detergent is out I'm switching to something earth friendly, but for those of you interested, this is a good sale.

CVS Bleach 2/$4. Not as good as the Clorox 2/$3 last week, but if you need bleach, that's not a bad price to pay for it, I suppose. I'm sure not stocking up, though.

Ziploc/Hefty sotrage bags on sale 2/$4.99. I'm not sure how good of a sale this is because my dad buys this stuff for me bulk at BJs. But it seems fair enough!

So, there you have it. Those are the household deals CVS has to offer you this week!

* These items are a great chance to build up your pantry!

No comments:

Post a Comment