Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Haymarket Pita

Haymarket pita is a great value:
  • They have no fat and 10g of protein
  • They are made in West Roxbury. That's cool
  • They freeze well. Just take one out, and put it over the burner on your stove (not ON it) for a few seconds, and then switch sides. Or pop it in a 350 oven for 5 minutes.
  • They cost $1.50
The first official scrimpySnack:

Haymarket Pita Chips

1/2 Package pitas from the Halal market in Haymarket ($.75)

2 T. Olive oil ($.24)

1 T. salt (or a little less, to taste) (I'm really a fan of Kosher salt, but I think that plain iodized sticks better for these) ($.01)

This recipe is very flexible (so am I!). Preheat the oven to 350. You want to cut the pita with a sharp knife (stack 3 for incredible speed!) into strips, and then cut those strips into bite size pita pieces (about 1"x2"). Or you can go the other route with it and do wedges. Whatever works for you. Put the pieces in a large bowl. Drizzle with the olive oil and half the salt and toss with your [CLEAN] hands. Spread them on a baking sheet (lined with aluminum foil or a Silpat sheet so that they don't stick) and if you would like, sprinkle them with the rest of the salt. Bake them at 350 for 15 minutes or until light golden brown and crunchy.

And the grand total is......$1.00 even. I live for moments like these. Since this recipe will make 6 servings, that's $.17/serving! That beats a $1.00 (pssht...at least!) bag of Stacy's any day.

Pack them into individual baggies, and bring them to lunch as a great snack. You can also dip them in a variety of delicious dips.

I think I will also try to make a sweet version of these using cinnamon and sugar. I'll get back to you as soon as I figure it out. Not like there's much figuring out to be done. I'm assuming I'll use vegetable oil instead of olive (or better yet, melted butter...) and cinnamon and sugar. Watch for the recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment