Friday, February 27, 2009

Haymarket Roundup!




Hey all! Welcome to the very first Haymarket Roundup...here I will let you know if I've found any good deals. First, let me tell you what you can usually always get there for a good price:

-Onions (yellow and red)
-Carrots
-Celery
-Apples
-Pears
-Peppers
-Potatoes
-Tomatoes
-Berries

None of the above are organic. So, I don't necessarily recommend getting all your produce here, but if you're not into organic, then the above are great deals. Also, if you need something in a pinch and you live around here, you can stop by and pick up whatever.

Here is what I found this week at Haymarket:

-Oranges ($2/6)...I buy these here because they're a low pesticide residue crop. Since they barely retain chemicals, I buy them conventional. They're great because they're so cheap in season. During the winter it's one of the only fruits we eat.

-Organic Bananas! I found organic bananas 3lbs/$2! That's $.67/lb for organic bananas! Now, there in the front of the market closest to the T stop. You walk back towards government center, and across from the fish you'll find organic bananas. They're easy to spot because they have big stickers on them and their numbers start in "9".

-Mushrooms - at TJs they're $2.80/lb and here they're $2/lb. So I bought them for the upcoming 10 minute meal using the whole foods sale sausage. I buy them conventional because they're not on the dirty dozen list of high pesticide residue food.


scrimpyTips:

- When you find a great deal on organic bananas, buy a crapload of them. Then what I do, is break them into thirds (once they're perfectly ripe) and freeze them for use in smoothies or muffins. For smoothies, just throw them in with yogurt, milk and/or berries. For muffins, defrost them in the fridge before use (they'll be all brown and watery, but it's ok, just use them - they're fine). I'm going to post about freezing your own fruit. It's a great thing to do when you have ripe fruit that you can't use up in time.
- Check out my other post to make sense of Haymarket.

- Please mind the tiny font in the drawing...

3 comments:

  1. I need to catalogue all the stores you reference that we flat out don't have up here in the great white north lol. And then I have to move. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read somewhere that Boston is one of the only major cities in the U.S. without a market that is open every day. Do they have these in the cities in Canada?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, but trust me, the vendors at this market could only be found in Boston. you have nothing like them in Canada, i'm sure of it

    ReplyDelete