Monday, February 9, 2009

Interesting little comparison

This woman did an interesting comparison showing that organic goods are more affordable at the special healthy food store. I've found the exact same thing to be true here in Boston. The organics I buy at Whole Foods tend to be cheaper than those that I find at Stop and Shop even though S&S has their own organic brand. If you buy the right things, you can actually go organic without increasing your food budget all that much. It's not an extensive article, just a little food-for-thought...(literally!)

scrimpyTips:

-Remove as much processing from your food as possible. By preparing foods yourself, you can save yourself a ton of money (and learn a craft, and know exactly what went into your food, and avoid preservatives, the list of benefits goes on...).
-Make a list before you shop next. Look at what you plan to buy and figure out what you may be able to make yourself. Google search things and see if you can make the stuff at home.
-I've found that I can make yogurt, bread, refried beans, wonton wrappers, taco shells, and all baked goods myself. This often lowers the end price by half!

No comments:

Post a Comment