Thursday, March 26, 2009

(15) Minute Meal Thursday: Mashed Potato Chowder

Good afternoon, my dear friends! I finally have my computer back, and am so happy for that. I'm used to typing on Mike's computer, and now, to have a working keyboard, is like, crazy. I have to retrain my little fingers. I've just gotten over a cold, and I'm so happy to feel better. Yesterday, Dylan said "mama", which is great. He's also still getting his first tooth. I went for an invisalign consultation today, and the place I went was a total scam. They get you in there with a teaser rate, and then tell you it's twice as much. So that was really disappointing, but I mean, hey, it's not the most important thing in the world - or even close to it. It just sucked that I had to go alll the way out on the C line from the North End!

I'm kind of doing a "swan" type thing with myself. Since being pregnant and having the baby, my looks have kinda gone down the drain, so bit by bit, I'm trying to fix everything. I'm trying to eat less now that I'm done nursing, also. ANYWAYS!

Who wants a 15 minute amazing recipe? I bet you do! Guess what? Even if you don't, you're still gettin' it!

This is a recipe I invented to use up leftover mashed potatoes!

Mashed Potato Chowder
serves 6
you can easily half this to serve 3...or 2 very hungry little piggies

3 T. olive oil ($.36)
6 stalks of celery chopped, about 2 c. ($.60)
6 medium carrots chopped, about 4 c. ($.75)
1 medium onion ($.07)
4 cloves chopped garlic ($.08)
1 T. salt ($.02)
1/2 t. black pepper ($.03)
2 t. dried oregano ($.12)
2 t. dried basil ($.12)
2 T. red wine vinegar ($.12)
4 c. leftover mashed potatoes (it depends on how much you paid for your potatoes, but mine cost $2.00 plus milk and stuff $2.25)
4 c. milk (organic - $1.48)
1 c. water ($0.00)

Total is $6.00. That's $1/serving! It's sooo good!

  1. Chop carrots, celery, onion, and garlic.
  2. Over medium low heat, heat olive oil + salt + pepper + garlic + onion + carrots +celery + basil + oregano until onions and celery are softened (about 10 minutes). Keep covered, so that the moisture doesn't evaporate...if you keep the top off, the veggies will stick to the bottom. The steam that drips down keeps them cooking!
  3. When the veggies are softened, add the red wine vinegar and allow it to simmer off for a moment. Help the veggies deglaze (get all the browned bits off the pot) by stirring them!
  4. Add the mashed potatoes, milk, and water. Stir to smooth.
  5. Over medium heat, cook until heated through.
  6. Serve! Mmm, mmm...

scrimpyTips:

- Add crisped bacon or frozen corn to the soup. So amazing!

- This would be good with some fresh dinner rolls. The ones I make are $.15 each. I know, I know, I promised the breadmaking tutorial, it's coming this weekend!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment