Thursday, April 30, 2009

Even Better Bomb Ass Blueberry Muffins!

I'm back, bitches!

So, a while back I had written a recipe for Whole Wheat-ish Blueberry Muffins (read all about it here). Well, this weekend, our cousins came over for brunch (hey BriAnne!) and they brought over blueberry muffins (every.single.time. I type "blueberry" I type "blueverry" instead...it's really starting to get to me). They were very good, but also probably very fattening. Anyways, I wanted one, so I whipped up a lower calorie batch (about 155 calories each by my calculation compared to probably around 600). This is a variation on my previous recipe, just tweaked a little bit.

A great way to keep these cheap and organic is to buy frozen organic blueberries which are $2.69 a bag here in Boston.

I cut the calories by using applesauce instead of oil and cinnamon sugar topping instead of crumb topping. I also upped the healthy factor by adding more whole wheat flour. You could even add 1/3 c. ground flax if you wanted. I was too lazy to grind some up. And now I'm feeling bad about myself. Learn from my mistakes, children.

Here's the recipe:

Bomb Ass Blueberry Muffins
makes 9

1 c. organic whole wheat flour ($.23 Whole Foods of course)

1/2 c. organic white all purpose flour ($.13)

2/3 c. organic sugar ($.39)

2 t. baking powder ($.08 - please triple check this and don't use baking soda on accident!)

1/2 t. salt (<$.01) (excuse the formatting from here...I'm stuck with a messed up keyboard - trust me it's worse for me than it is for you)

1/3 c. organic homemade applesauce made by ME! ($.30...?)

1/2 c. milk or yogurt (organic - $.19)

1 egg (organic - $.29)

1 cup frozen blueberries (organic - TJs - $1.08)

2 T. organic sugar ($.07) + 1 t. cinnamon ($.06) = topping = ($.13)

Total: $2.83...that's $.31 each...NICE! It only cost us $.30 to make them organic, too. Isn't that great?
  1. Preheat oven to 400 and prepare muffin tins by greasing them or putting in muffin cups.

  2. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.

  3. In a measuring cup, measure applesauce and add the egg. Then fill with yogurt or milk to make 1 cup. You should need about 1/2 c. That's how much I needed.

  4. Add the applesauce mixture to the dry ingredients and stir slowly until JUST combined. If you over stir muffin batter, you will make your muffins tough. So, stir them as few times as absolutely necessary.

  5. Toss the blueberries with the flour. This is done so that they don't sink. This batter is so thick that they won't sink, anyways...but I also do it to keep the blue color from bleeding too much (even though it still will a bit). Toss anything that you plan to put in a muffin in flour first so they don't sink.

  6. Fold in the blueberries carefully and spoon the batter into cups.

  7. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar or just plain sanding sugar, or nothing, if you'd prefer.
  8. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Mine took 25.
I hope you like them! Mike, baby Dylan, and I sure do :).

No comments:

Post a Comment